April's Top Ten Gardening Tips
The frost has hopefully cleared and made way for sunshine and showers, making April the perfect month for garden maintenance.
In preparation for your flourishing summer garden, we’ve got 10 top April gardening tips:
- Clear any leaves left over from the winter months.
- Get your fence repaired. With our usual unpredictable British weather we have had a blustery winter and you may have turned a blind eye to that wobbly section of fence. But, now is the time to get any repairs seen to and make sure your fence is standing tall ready for summer garden parties.
- Weeding. It may be arduous, but if you remove the weeds before they have the opportunity to flower and seed it will save you time and pay off later in the year.
- Lawn care. Rain and sun make ideal conditions for your lawn to grow. Sow lawn seed and mow the grown grass, but make sure to leave the blades reasonably high. Come summer, you’ll have a Wimbledon like lawn.
- Plant your summer bulbs. Your Allium, Gladioli and Irises will be in full bloom come summer if you get them planted this month.
- Check your compost bins to see if there is any compost ready to use.
- Deadhead daffodils and tulips as the flowers finish, but leave the foliage letting it to die away naturally.
- Clean your BBQ, we’ve already had one scorcher of a weekend. Get your BBQ out and give it a good scrub.
- In your vegetable garden, now is the time to sow carrots, peas, beetroot, winter cabbages and broccoli.
- Visit your local gardening centre. They will have some great advice as to what will suit your soil type best.
April is also the time to check your heating oil levels, and get your Spring/Summer delivery arranged. Find your local depot to place your order.